ABOUT WILDERNESS IN THE CITY
Why Wilderness in the City? Far too often, natural space in urban areas is viewed either as empty needing to be filled, or is left unmanaged and degraded. We have a different vision. These natural spaces are not empty — they are filled with opportunities for Nature-based education, Low-impact recreation, and valuable wildlife habitat.
Wilderness in the City is dedicated to preserving and enhancing natural urban areas for future generations through:
- Natural resource stewardship
- Community outreach
A legacy of parklands with healthy ecosystems for year-around, nature-based recreation and education opportunities.
- Enhanced wildlife habitats in an otherwise developed urban setting.
- Natural spaces, close to home and accessible to all, that offer respite from the built world around us.
Photo Credit: Benjamin Olson Photography
“It‘s not about what it is, it’s about what it can become.”
~ Dr. Suess, The Lorax
With proper management, healthy ecosystems throughout our urban natural areas and especially within our nature-based regional parks system can provide valuable support for:
- Endangered pollinators
- Low Impact Recreation
- Health & Wellbeing
- The Next Generation of Stewards
- Habitat for Diverse Wildlife
- Native Flora & Fauna